Sunday, May 31, 2015

Why?


“Don’t let us forget that the causes of human actions are usually immeasurably more complex and varied than our subsequent explanations of them.”

Last night I couldn’t remember the maiden name of the grandmother who I’m named after. I had to look it up today. As the two oldest sisters, I grew up with my sister M (heh) in a big house with lots of siblings, sharing a room with Grandma.

My first memory of Grandma was when she fell down the basement stairs when I was a toddler. I remember this not because she broke her hip but because she allegedly tripped on a toy fire truck my big brother had left on the stairs. Even as a toddler I thought this strange because the truck wasn’t one of those matchbox toys. It was as big as a shoe box. So it got me wondering why she wasn’t looking where she was going.

It got me wondering way back when she fell because I remember standing at the top of the stairs. She must have made a bit of noise going down and landing. I must have been toddler, so in fairness to Grandma, I was closer to the ground standing up.

Whether she fell or was pushed will remain one of life’s mysteries, like why another of my sisters, M (heh), likes socks so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment