Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Cider for Lunch


When life gives you lemons your lemonade is gonna suck unless life also gives you sugar and water.
 - Nobody here

I have a talking scale. It belonged to DOB and just because she moved out a few years ago, I wasn't going to toss it out. Since it's the closest thing to an in-law living under my roof, you could say it's my step-scale.  Step on it, and a pleasant lady's voice says:

Talking Scale:  Your weight is... 170.5 pounds. (If I'm lucky)

Me:  Bitch.

Then, she started talking to herself. I would come into the bathroom and she'd be saying

TS: Your weight is... 1.4 pounds.

Then the digital display would say "low" which I suppose was a some kind of cry for help.

So, I replaced the 9 volt battery.

Then...

TS: (Crickets)

Silent Digital Display: Err

Which I assumed was the scale clearing her throat to say I am so heavy that she'd prefer not to say out loud what my actual weight is. I may have mentioned I prefer to say I have gravitas rather than that I'm morbidly obese.

So, I changed the battery. Again.

TS: Your weight is 79 kilos
       Your weight is 80 kilos
       Your weight is 76.5 kilos.

I felt all anorexic and shit until I found a switch on the bottom that said Kl on one side and Lb on the other. But it doesn't matter which side I move the switch to. All she'll give me is kilos. And inconsistently. It sucks to be me.

Time for more cider. Hard, of course. 10.5% ABV to be specific. About twice as strong as I usually have. Stupid scale.

1 comment:

  1. I just realized that the talking scale is a the perfect metaphor for my former roommates who once made sense, albeit in very small doses. Now the only thing in my house that talks to me doesn't make any sense at all.

    ReplyDelete