Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Vast Imbecility

This morning it was Randy and his granddaughter Allison who knocked at my door at 10:22 am.

It seems that "from time to time" they drop by unannounced to "chat about the Bible".  Randy was holding a briefcase which I suspect had either a) a lot of proof about the literal veracity of the Bible; or b) a very sharp butcher knife to cut my throat. Again, Allison was clearly there to assure paranoid householders that Randy wouldn't by trying to steal my money that I have squirreled away in books all over my house while I bled out on the floor.

I politely told them I was not interested.  I wonder if these white people ever knock on doors in the hood?

Here's who I'll let into to chat. If somebody knocked on my door and wanted to talk about Thomas Hardy's Nature's Questioning: "We wonder, ever wonder, why we find us here!" His best guess was:

"Has some Vast Imbecility,
Might to build and blend,
But impotent to tend,
Framed us in jest, and left us now to hazardy?"

Judging by the people who come to my door to talk about Creationism myths or chat about the Bible, I think the answer is yup.


No comments:

Post a Comment