Monday, January 26, 2015

The Whole World is Spinning

“As long as the world is turning and spinning, we're gonna be dizzy and we're gonna make mistakes.” ~ Mel Brooks

I’ve always been very happy to admit to my mistakes. I’ve been known to admit my mistakes, even when I’m right. I’ve found it’s often easier to admit to a mistake I didn’t make than to try to explain to the hypothetically unmistaken person that it wasn’t my fault. Hell, I was expelled from high school a month before graduation based on somebody else’s mistake. That, and lack of due process. It’s a wonder I’m not bitter.

My professional career as a bureaucrat at Research-O-Rama University was based on accepting blame for mistakes made by people who outranked me but who were dumber than a nutless nougat bar when it came to using their words, their heads, or their mad CPA/MBA skilz. I generally used my bureaucratic superpowers only for good. Besides, I could run rhetorical circles around them and confuse them with big words like mesmerize, treacle, and ipso factoid. 

Even so, it was usually easier to apologize and get back to work than to cite a reference in a volume of the Policy and Procedure Manual (at last count about a dozen large light-blue loose leaf binders) and say “These are not the mistakes you are looking for.”

But humility is my greatest character trait - at the top of a long list of great character traits, granted. As an example of humbly admitting I am fallible, here’s a mistake I made once. I bought a pencil with an eraser on it.

As for actually making mistakes, I’m of two minds:

One mind says with age should come wisdom and my quest should be to attain perfection, aka, don’t make no more mistakes. Or at least maybe make fewer mistakes. As Nick once said to Nancy, if the world wasn’t spinning, the people in China would fall off. So accept that we’re all going to be a little dizzy; but try to hang on, you know?

The other mind says go fuck yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment