Sunday, November 10, 2013

But Monsieur Defarge, I Digress.

Remember the definition of a sentence? A sentence is a word or a group of words that convey a complete thought. Not a few clues as to topic. Not an unformed idea. Not an implicit game of 20 questions to determine, decode, pretend to find amusing whatever the fuck the speaker is bloviating on about. Not verbs wandering around the barren conversational plain in search of nouns.

A while back, we needed to get some documents notarized. We discover our old go-to notary is gone. Hilarity ensues.

Me :    (googling on my phone) There’s a notary public at Postal Annex. Let’s go there.

The Other Guy: OK.

Five minutes tick by as we drive.

TOG:  I’m confused. I’m not going to Postal Annex, right?

M:  I’m confused too. I thought we were going to Postal Annex, right?

WISIMH:  We make plans. We agree on an objective. We embark on our mission. En route, the plans are sometimes incrementally compromised; they often mutate into unrecognizable forms, they are frequently beaten bloody and left senseless in a ditch.

TOG:  The place where X got some stuff notarized a while back?

M:       Use more words.

TOG:  That isn’t Postal Annex. It's other place we mail packages.

WISIMH:  Speaking of being beaten senseless, that’s what you do to sentences too. I’ve become a reluctant master at deciphering baffling sentence fragments. By the way, both of the mailbox places are in the same strip mall and both places offer notary services. So I see your confusion.

M:  Which place are we going? The Internet just told me Postal Annex has notaries, and you just reminded me that so does the other mailbox place.

TOG:  So, we should just go there, right?

M:  Um, yes?


WISIMH:  Where? The other mailbox place? Postal Annex? The Internet? I do so love it when you reply to an either/or question with a yes/no answer. It makes every day an adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment